Thursday, January 5, 2012

Photography Cards Receiving New Improvements & Makeovers

(Part 1 of 2012 Improvements)

As the year started coming to a close I started brainstorming ideas for how I wanted to improve my shop for 2012. Over the next few days, I will be discussing the different strategies and improvements I have made and why.

Adhesive Upgrade:

As of November 2011, I decided to upgrade my adhesive that I would need to use to make all of my handmade photography cards. Prior to this upgrade, I tested two types of adhesive. One type was scrapbook adhesive tape and the other was craft bond permanent glue stick.

The scrapbook adhesive tape works well and keeps the photograph and embellishments attached to the card permanently. However, if you bend the card upward the photograph tends to lift slightly in the middle. When the cards lay flat or are held the photograph lays flat.

The craft bond permanent glue stick worked relatively well at first. This product was recommended to me by an associate at a craft store for making cards. When I first started buying these permanent glue sticks, the glue would be a deep royal blue color however when I continued to buy them the glue was then a light blue to a clear color. I was not happy with this inconsistent product so I discontinued the use of this adhesive. Using this type of adhesive was also unpredictable. I would glue the photograph to the cardbase and then press the cards to make sure they laid flat. However sometimes the cards would still bow or bend even after they had been pressed.

New Solution:

In the fall of 2011, I purchased a Xyron sticker machine after reading several reviews. After several test cards I have been very pleased with the results of this machine. I simply roll the photograph through the machine and it places a thin permanent sticker film on the back. I then peel off the sticker paper and adhere to the cardbase. The Xyron machine is quick and efficient. The cards do not bow, bend or wrinkle 99% of the time (the 1% for operator error). haha

Xyron 500 Create-A-Sticker Machine 5"x18" Permanent


The Old Cards:
The cards that were made with either craft bond or scrapbook adhesive have been carefully examined for wrinkles and slight bending of the cards. Any card that has been wrinkled over time has been discarded and WILL NOT be sold. If a card shows a minimal bending, it has been moved to the bargain bin* in my studio at a reduced price. There is a note at the bottom that states if it is an adhesive or paper discount.

Most of the bending or bowing has been minimal, if I felt it was too severe I discarded the card. These cards are still 100% usable and it is recommended that you store them in the clear bag to help protect them until they are used.

Paper Upgrade:
I have made sure that ALL new cards are made from a sturdy, heavier weight cardstock that does not fade.

*Some of the items in the bargain bin are in there because I have overstock of the particular item. I grouped them together in larger quantities at a discounted price to make room for other cards. Please see each listing for additional information.

Thank you for your continued business and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment